Monday, September 7, 2015

Kentucky: Day Two - Churchill Downs

Kentucky = horses!  I love horses.  What a blast to see the spot where the Kentucky Derby is run!  From the time I was a little girl, I loved horses.  I read tons of books about horses as a child, and our family has always loved to watch the races on TV.  So it was exciting to see all of the spots in person that we had seen on TV.  This year was special as well since there was a triple crown winner since Secretariat, the greatest horse ever!  Ok I will try to settle down, but it was very exciting.  We stayed with my Aunt Jenny, my dad's sister, while we were there and had a great time with her.  I think she was as excited as we were!
The triple crown winner with Ava!
The entrance to the museum looks like a starting gate.  
The original building was just the part with the twin spires.  
The paddock area where the riders mount their horses.  

Where the bugler bugles.  
Millionaires Row - best view!
The starting gate
A horse getting shoes
The track - a fine mixture of materials to make it perfect for the horses. 

A Derby runner - Twinspired
Playing games in the museum 
Secretariat's bridle and other stuff

The kids are ready to be jockeys
Jack jockeying
Ava 

No comments: