Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Lasts and Firsts

It is always with great sadness that I say good-bye to summer, and this has been a full one.  A move with a new ministry, new town, house, friends, and activities along with a sprinkle of old friends and family made it unique and special.  It's really been a great summer!  It's nice that the weather doesn't know it's the end quite yet since it will be 80s this week!  The funny thing is I'm usually sad at summer's end for about a minute before it hits me that I do really love fall too.  Then I'm excited again.  So here we go!  

We were able to get out on the Cushman's boat again for the last time which was actually my first time.  I love boating, tooling along and looking at the houses and scenery.  

Then we hit the fair again for the last time on Labor Day.  It was a perfect day in the 70s.  I think I have been to the State Fair every Labor Day since moving back to Minnesota in 2000; and even when I lived here as a child, we went that day.  It's tradition!  Matt usually was working, so this was the first time for him at least in a while.  

We were also able to see the families which is always the best!  Then we stopped by Woodcrest to see Jack's classmates from last year.  They look so big, and the new kindergarten class looks so small!  I'm starting to understand how many say they want to slow time down.  This part seems to be flying compared to the 5 years at home before school.  Well I still have Ava to remind me what that's like so I won't get sentimental quite yet.  She's a mix of cuteness and rebellion.  We left them with my parents while we went to the fair and she said, "you go 'out us?"  (You're going without us?) She's never really said anything like that before, so it's always fun to hear those comments.  

So those are our lasts.  We are home, the house is a wreck, and school has to be organized since we are starting...soon!  But I'm glad to have a project, and I guess I have one or two now!  Here are some firsts.  

Jack started flag football last night and loves it so far.  It's so funny to hear the comments from the coaches and parents.  It's always my favorite part along with the kids who get the ball and just run in any direction.  So cute!  He was also promoted in Sunday School to the 1st-3rd grade class.  

And of course, homeschooling is the biggest first for our family.  I still have some nerves about it but I am hopeful that once we begin, it will all fall into place.  I am excited about organizing it at least but usually you can organize something and sit back and admire it.  I don't think that will work in this case.  Matt was making fun of me and saying I should try the think method of homeschooling.  Just like on the Music Man.  
Well, I feel this is wordy probably because we had a lot to catch up on so I will stop and add pictures.  







No comments: